Sunday 22 January 2012

.....assessment over...next phase!

ok, assessment was pretty much a disaster....
...totally tongue tied and really did not articulate myself well in any way, shape or form....pretty much a rubbish really!....ah well...feed back said I had to stay focused on one area....heavily emphasising that assemblage boxes have been done, re done and re done again! ....so I take the hint and will concentrate on "pebbles" just for the final exhibition....

....my love of Louise Bourgeios' later work with cloth has really inspired me....so much so I'd love to make my own fabric book about my journey with pebbles similar to "Ode à l'Oubli" but using some of my old coats as the main fabric support....they are after all what I have worn on my walks when finding my pebbles...showing, marks, shapes, text and prints...




.....I'am working on some ideas....but in the mean time I have always wanted to make a column in fabric shapes just like she does...
 Louise Bourgeois fabric totem, with detail below

...using the random shapes of pebbles as my idea...I often make these or we find them dotted along our coast....randomly built and left for someone else to find or to be taken by the sea... 

... using fabric from old coats and trousers, stuff  my family and I have worn when out and about on our walks....I can't decide tho' as to whether I should also add the markings onto the pebbles or just the shapes...also what should I fill them with...
sketch book ideas....
....and so I have tried some different fillings....the thing is that although pebbles are hard, cold objects to touch, to me I feel a fondness, a soft comforting element as each one reminds me of a moment, a time, a memory -  thats why I collect them....using fabric helps portray my connection and my emotional link with them...so some should be hard and solid - a strong memory, others soft and squishy - distant/past times....


top: denim/scrim stuffed with foam block
next: canvas with marks embroidered - polystyrene balls
next: canvas painted - expending foam
bottom: canvas - memory foam offcuts

I have to confess....these are just samples and are about the size of footballs....the best and most illuminating was the expanding foam.....possibly put a 'tad toooo much in as expanded exceptionally well and the effect is lightweight and very firm, neat round shape...might try again and not put quite so much in!
also I'm not sure how large or small I am going to do them...or whether I do different totems....one all soft , another solid and strong....everything is really in its early experimental state at the moment so bare with me while I share my trials and errors along the way!

I am however going to use 4 of my assemblage boxes....the sewing drawers with the pebbles I made using ink and stitch...I like them too much and feel they work well with the rest of my ideas...

....by the way I got a grade of 2:1!

anyway, happy reading....bye




No comments:

Post a Comment