Sunday 11 March 2012

....and what did I manage to do this week?


....In all honesty when someone once told me that when you get older time just rushes by, they really weren't joking!....I remember thinking at Christmas  over the next few months I'll be producing a collection of work that has built up from my studies from the last 3 years.....It's now March and I am still waiting to create this so called wondrous collection!!!...

However I have managed to make a start...
I had the opportunity to chat to a really lovely artist called James Ryan, he was both interesting to listen to and also really helpful when he came by our studios in the afternoon, it's great to be able to hear feedback from visiting artists.....a fresh perspective....
the cotton threads have been removed,
 they definitely didn't work!
I finished my relief pebble mark...
..as a prototype it was good to see what did and didn't work. Now I've made one I am going to do another, with various additional elements....although I would like to make it out of something less heavier...
My order of art goodies arrived...
After going to York Art Gallery last week and seeing the Gordon Baldwin Exhibition...
 I was really taken by the simplicity of his mark making, the marks were so determined and carried a lot of weight. The subtle, earthy colours were really beautiful. I also really like his drawings as well, they really were impressive, Hubby even bought me the catalogue.... It did give me an idea to develop further ...



...so I pressed some threads into some air drying clay to simulate the threadlike...map like marks found on a pebble...when it dries I might try and see what I can do with it!
...I have also been in touch with an engineering company about making a mild steel sculpture...ok at the moment my proto-type looks a bit crude but you kinda get the idea as to what I want to create...this is just one mark from a pebble, using 5 layers of steel to try and help emphasise the groove...
since this quick attempt, my designs have changed, I have a selection now!


these are the individual sections...

Obviously this may take some time...and money...
...I'll have to see what I can sort out, I'm hoping to be able to use scrap metal if possible, I also want it to be no less than 50cm tall....I've got to think about transport and weight etc...originally I wanted it to be about 1.5m but think this may cost toooooo much!
I'm hopefully meeting the engineer tomorrow to discuss further...

I also managed to make another 2 embroidered port hole pebble marks....this may take some time...I am also hopefully getting some clock bezels later this week I want to trap some threads and also paint on the clock faces...



...I've got another 7 small port-holes and 2 larger ones and hopefully about 6 clock faces...I've been determined to do this hanging sculpture so it's good to actually get started on it!
...maybe my mojo hasn't totally disappeared...what a relief!

so... when everyone else seemed to be out enjoying the sunshine this weekend I was putting my sewing machine through its paces...I had to as I'm busy most of next weekend, visiting the Baltic and biscuit factory and hopefully Vane gallery too....then off to see Florence and the Machine!...my brothers 50th birthday ...and of course mothers day on the 18th, so you see, I had to make the most of the weekend!

...hope you enjoyed the update? 'til next time...bye

No comments:

Post a Comment