Thursday 19 April 2012

Laine & Co Art Gallery.....is now open for business!

...I need to start by apologising for not blogging regularly....my Sunday evening ramblings have soooooo not been happening... and to be honest I have missed doing them. They seem to sometimes put things into prospective and when they are there in black and white things somehow seem so much clearer!

so what have I been doing that was so important that I couldn't blog about it....the main reason being that there weren't enough hours in the day!

Uni is hotting up, but thankfully not at frenzy state yet....5 weeks left and counting. The final exhibition is Friday 8th June and I'm quite looking forward to it really....can you tell the panic hasn't set in yet?

...that's because I have been so pre-occupied with opening our compact and bijou art gallery 
"Laine & Co"

...it all happened quite quickly really ....from waiting for a property owned by the council....and still waiting....and still waiting 8 months later....and still waiting....I decided to look at a short term alternative while I continue to wait....within two weeks of finding a small lock up unit 5 shops up on the same street I had agreed terms and had started plans to move in!...no time like the present...or as some one said "should you not wait until you have finished your degree?...most probably but would it have still been available?...

...so 122 Victoria rd, Scarborough is my new business address ...it looked like this...on the outside and this...
...on the inside...
....oohhh a cellar...a tad damp but
soooo much potential!


sadly the landlord wants to keep the slatted wall decor....as a short term let I can cope with that...the ripped metallic lino has seen better days and magnolia walls need a bit of TLC....So my challenge is to freshen up the place.... all achievable with a small budget and a bit of  white paint!


The contract was signed on the 5th April and the hard work began. 
Apparently we had Easter holidays to concentrate on developing our uni work and have a break with the family...
....NOT!...
...for two weeks we organised, negotiated, arranged, cleaned, tidied, painted and mended ...
Pj cleaning and painting the kitchen area
all white!



Jane's side!

ladder hogger!

why o why would you want to mop the
 floor mid afternoon...
...because its fun!

my back-o-the-shop studio!

There is no way this venture could have happened with out the love of my family...they are my rock and have mucked in and been there through the whole thing. 
Kevin has worked tirelessly and has been so patient with me...even when I have a mini rant at something that was not even his fault! he makes me laugh and always reminds me that there's more to life, a problem shared ....although they all laughed and showed very little -  (in my eyes know where near enough)  sympathy when I almost chopped off the end of my little finger...it still hurts now and I have a scar!


ah....almost moved in and a few
well deserved treats!
temporary sign being put up in hailstone
and rain!....thanks Hun x
 It has always been important to me to have a working and accessible studio at the gallery, the area is big enough to share so Jane, a fellow final year student and friend is going to share the area, communication is key. It saddens me when I hear artists say the only visitors or contact they see is the postman!


carpet down...
starting to put up first exhibition

       Press release….press release…press release…press release…

New art gallery to help promote new and emerging artists opening soon in Scarborough….

"Laine & Co Art Gallery"
122 Victoria Rd, Scarborough, North Yorkshire. YO11 1SL

Opening with…
 “A silent/sealed auction”
… to help final year students studying  BA Fine Art Degree achieve greater awareness  for them & their art and  also raise funds for their final exhibition. …

The first exhibition at the gallery will house a collection of art from students as well as a selection of paintings and prints kindly donated by their lecturers.

The New gallery aims to help promote new and emerging artists by offering opportunities from solo to open exhibitions throughout the year.  The gallery also provides additional studio space for owner Janilaine Mainprize to continue with her art practise.

“The town plays host to some excellent art galleries, this venture aims to provide  a springboard for new and emerging artists.  
Being able to offer artists a platform and opportunities to exhibit, curate and promote themselves at the beginning of their career will serve not only help them realise a dream but also get them on the ladder for greater recognition and success”

Viewing and auction catalogue is available  to view from…
 Thursday 19th April  2012 from 10am
(Also available on line at www.janilainemainprize.co.uk)
 Private preview & grand opening  of the gallery and Auction finale on Friday 27th April 2012

(bids may be placed throughout this period)
All successful bidders will be contacted on Saturday 28th April
(cash or cheque only)
for further details call in or tel: 07825 0470-65

The gallery will be open Thursday to Sunday from 10am – 6pm
(Opening hours will change after graduation in June!)
Artwork and selected gifts are available to view and buy,
Commissions also taken.

For further information please contact Janilaine Mainprize
Tel: 07825 047065 or email janilainem@yahoo.com


           Press release….press release…press release…press release…

taking shape now...
....and three weeks later ....the doors opened today!.....PHEW! 

that's why I have not been blogging....life will hopefully level out a bit, well the next few weeks at least
and uni work will take centre stage!

I hope we manage to raise some money from the auction for our degree exhibition, I would love to be able to put the catalogue on my blog, but have absolutely no idea how to do that!

....so...

call in and take a peek, have a chat, take a moment and enjoy the atmosphere and the art!

Happy reading....back soon x

No comments:

Post a Comment