Sunday 20 May 2012

....and the countdown has began!





   

.....I looked out the window and noticed that not only is the grass longer than the dog!...
but also that there were actually some flowers hardy enough to survive our crazy weather system....and I reckon they have been out for a while only I have been soooooo consumed with my degree I never even noticed them!...
so, presentation done!...
...well it was more like a therapy session to be honest, I was always told  I needed to research and go deeper with my work in the previous two years assessments, this year I didn't have to concentrate on my day job - redundancy does have its rewards! - so I totally threw myself at my art....and blimey did I discover some things about art and myself that I would never have brought to the surface for others to not only see but discuss too!....I have really surprised myself, my work has become quite autobiographical....and never would I have thought I would have gone there! as Louise Bourgeois said and I agree"art can be therapeutic" not only have I been working flat out but I am now emotionally drained too!
In my presentation I felt like I had bared my soul and got quite teary at the end...relief for actually acknowledging to others what I do and feel but also the last hurdle before submitting my show pieces...
felt a bit of a fool, but can't turn back time .....and Andy Black (our wonderful and patient lecturer) did say it wouldn't gain me extra points!

Some of the points I raised or highlighted about my influences and my choice of materials in my presentation were...



I’m greatly influenced by Rauschenberg who said in an interview with Mark Rosenthal
an artist manufactures his material out of his own existence—his own ignorance, familiarity or confidence. I come to terms with my materials. They know and I know that we’re going to try to do something. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. 
I love the way he produced such bodies of work, that when exhibited together sat comfortably, complimenting each other. His confident and successful use of print, combines, assemblage, photography, collage.....when I first stated my degree, I remember thinking his work was grubby!.....weird...I totally get it now!
Marc Quinn
“Fingerprint painting 2”, 2011
Oil, acrylic and silicon extrusion
 on canvas

I first properly looked at Marc Quinn at the Frieze last year.  
Really impressed by the use of marks and the different mediums he uses to achieve this.
Also with this piece, its personal, we all have them, yet the scale really defines that.... its human size!

..other influences that are obvious, well to me but I thought I'd share are...
  Joseph Cornell is another great influence of mine...the clever way he connects
 mundane and old objects together bringing a renewed sense of wonder to them.  
My passion for collecting and displaying lead me to him and his work,
 ….his museum like work was often fantasy...
 I, however, want to create work that touches with reality and possibly contains actual memories.
Joseph Cornell (1903-1972)"Unicorn"
 Artists who have both influenced me and made me consider how I approach my art in terms of content have all added additional elements to ‘readymade’ objects…such as Rauschenberg, Bourgeois, Parker  and Cornell. They have all added autobiographical touches that resonate personal memories to both themselves and others.                   

Cornelia Parker images taken at The Frieze 2011
I now incorporate and use selected objects as a symbols within my work, 
along with the delicate yet disparate contents, I hope will take the viewer on a visual journey.
It can be challenging trying to balance the visual and physical content...
... the connection of elements being vital, the knack to getting that balance just right. 
One moment it’s exasperating the next it’s exhilarating. 
Throughout my practice I  seem to somehow manage to incorporate cloth. To me it is too frequently disregarded both for its significance and function. It is one of the most intimate things we interact with on a daily basis. It holds extraordinary connections to our lives, especially our body, witnessing some of our most personal interactions. 

“Inflated-Deflated” Annette Messager
2006
Approx 30 pieces human body parts stuffed parachute fabric



    Messager and Bourgeois cleverly entwine old clothes, 
    cloth and elements of their past throughout their work. 
    From their large scale installations and sculptures to the smaller, 
    more intimate pieces often produced on snippets and scraps of used materials.
They carry such weight to me in terms of memory, meaning and detail, and how they are able to manipulate cloth successfully enhancing their work through both its physical and psychological attributes.
 As Robert Rauschenberg stated on his choice of material and concept of his work “he wanted to bridge the gap between art and life” (Leoni-Figini, 2006) I feel that artists using cloth as a medium have empathy for its attributes by using actual objects or personal artefacts whether whole or remnants these artists connect art and life. 

All the artists I have looked at celebrate using a variety of materials throughout their work, I feel that I don't have to justify why I don't stick to one medium, like them its what we create thats the focus and the end result.


So....a flying visit into the influences of my art....I just have to hand in my Professional development module in this next week. We also have to strip our studio spaces at uni and paint white for the show...then display and hand all our art practice module in for the 1st June....
then....if your around its "Show time"....
If you can't make it the show is moving to my gallery "Laine & Co" from the 21st June for 3 weeks....bringing it to the public at street level....(Westwood is off the beaten track and up 3 flights of stairs - no lift!!!)
...so ...
I'll whet your appetite with some of my final pieces next week....no stress....I only have three pieces actually finished...so less blogging and more creating!

Happy reading, bye

No comments:

Post a Comment