Sunday 11 August 2013

How to emphasise fragility...successfully!

I've been pondering over some ideas and thought I'd re-visit something I briefly touched on at uni... trying to make some really delicate mixed media pebble sculptures.

I want to be able to highlight the map like marks I love so much, but in a more 3d format....I made some at uni by wrapping threads around pebbles...but, & it may sound odd...after putting them on display 3 disappeared...I honestly think they got caught in a draft and simply fluttered off somewhere!...they were soo light and delicate, but it got me thinking...

...so 15 months later I am having another go. I've got 3 glass cloche/domes that I want to house them in and so I've been experimenting...

I know I want them to resemble cairns!....& I would also like them to be free standing, I like the idea of people arranging them themselves...however as dust is an issue, having them enclosed behind glass keeps them protected and dust free....win win!

Experiment 1: maps!
....using remnants of used maps, I shredded thin strips and wrapping them around pebbles created a prototype!...'tad too much glue, but hopefully sturdy enough, I also like the fact that I could mold the strips to show contours etc.


Experiment 2: Thread!
...like previous attempts I wrapped different surplus threads around a selection of pebbles,  they have to be thick enough to hold their form but thin enough to see through and create an impression of fragility.....obviously I will use colours matched to pebbles for the real thing!


Experiment 3: 
....Machine embroidery...trapping lace and chiffon I traced real pebble marks similar to my laser cut images, and sewed away..Ipod on shuffle and a cup of tea nearby...then molded it to a pebble....


 ....I'm liking the randomness of the different materials...
...which gives me more scope for experimenting!...I recently came across some work I liked by an artist called Rickie Wolfe  who seems to use all mediums successfully....


 ...but it has also helped me realise how I  have to be far more meticulous and particular to get the result I am looking for...

...with practice I'm starting to fathom out how to create delicate, yet fairly solid shapes... I'm preferring the machine embroidery ones especially the contrast alongside the maps. Trapping vintage laces and chiffons adds extra dimensions and depth....I feel there may be a sou wester one just because I can!
however...
...I also need to figure out how I can get the cairns to stay upright for longer than half an hour!
...so, tomorrow I'll be mainly re-creating mixed media cairns...in various forms...I'm still hoping to find someone who can help me re-create one using porcelain slip...what goes around comes around!...

I'm pleased to say Zillah Bell Art Gallery, Thirsk, have still got a selection of my work on display for the rest of the summer and I also dropped off some work at  Bils & Rye Art Gallery , Nunnington, which is expanding every time we visit!...I'm hoping to go over to PASH sometime next week too....so what with lovely weather, fun in the studio and places to go....what more could I ask for!?

anyway...time for food for the family...and if I manage to produce any successful pebbles, I'll post them later in the week...

Hope you're all having a good weekend....take care and back again soon...bye



No comments:

Post a Comment